This savory soup is highly nutritious and delicious. Sweet potatoes and carrots are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. I love eating this soup anytime of the year.
- 1 tbs coconut oil or (olive oil)
- 1/2 large onion
- 1–2 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced or 1 tbs ground ginger
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 pound of carrots, sliced
- Water to boil (just enough to cover carrots and sweet potatoes)
- 3 cups vegetable broth or (any other broth)
- 1 tsp ground coriander (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground curry
- In a pot, add water, sweet potatoes, carrots and bring to a boil until they are fork tender.
- Heat a large pot with the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onions and let them cook for about 5 to 6 minutes, until onions are translucent stirring frequently. Next, add the garlic and ginger and saute for another minute or so.
- Drain the boiled water from the carrots and sweet potatoes or leave some and add to the large pot along with broth, turmeric, nutmeg, and coriander (if using). Soup will be hot! You may want to let cool down a bit.
- Transfer everything to a high speed blender or food processor until smooth. You may need to do this in batches.
- Return soup to the large pot. Season with salt.
- Serve the soup in bowls and top with coconut milk (optional), cayenne pepper (optional, if you like spice).
- You can substitute coconut oil with grapeseed oil or olive oil.
- You can bake the sweet potatoes in the oven.
- You can use your favorite flavor of broth or you can use water only. I think broth gives it even more flavor. Season to your taste, Enjoy!
Keywords: Vegetarian, Gluten free, Soy free